PM Modi announces Janta curfew on 22 March, urged people to stay home and help in curbing the effect of COVID-19.
Prime Minister addressed the nation on Thursday. He appealed Indians to stay calm and stay indoors as much as possible. He also requested people not to hoard the necessary items like medicines and Food. The Prime Minister in his address announced a ‘Janta Curfew‘ on Sunday from 7 am to 9 pm.
What is Janta Curfew?
Janta Curfew is a word coined by PM Modi on his address to the nation on Thursday. The Prime Minister has implored all citizens of India to observe a self -imposed curfew from 7 am to 9 pm IST on 22 March. It is an effort to reduce community spreading of coronavirus disease in India.
What all PM Narendra Modi Said?
- Avoid stepping out unless essential.
- Avoid Panic Buying, India has enough supplies.
- Do not cut the wages of those working for you.
- Children under 10 and those aged 60 years above must take extra precautions.
- Covid-19 Economic Taskforce, headed by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, will take measures to boost the economy.
- At 5 pm Sunday, express gratitude to those working round the clock.
What measures have been taken?
- No passenger train will originate from any railway station in the country from midnight to 10 pm on Sunday, while all local train services will be reduced to a bare minimum as well.
- Metro services, including Delhi, will remain suspended for the day.
- Air carriers like GoAir, IndiGo, and Vistara have announced that they will be curtailing domestic operations on Sunday.
- Large gatherings in shrines of various faiths, including Sunday mass, have been dismissed.
- Traders’ body Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) has announced that they will keep establishments shut across the country.
What are the Measures taken by States?
Delhi- Restriction on the gathering of more than 5 people. Delhi Metro service will remain suspended for the whole day. 50% of the bus services will not function. Autos and taxis will also be off the road.
Maharashtra- The central Railway canceled all of its 120 outstation train services between 4 am to 10 pm on Sunday. Public places like malls, parks, clubs will remain closed.
Uttar Pradesh- Metro trains all over the state, including in Lucknow and Noida, will not operate. Bus services run by the state transport and bus services will be closed.
Other states, too, have restricted railways and other transport services. All the public places have been lockdown.